Divorce and Separation Information
If you're considering a divorce or separation, or currently going through the process, you need to know what to expect each step of the way. Few of us ever anticipate this stage in our lives, and therefore don't know what options are available to us. Below you will find information about various legal aspects that you may be facing at this point in your life.
Martial Separation - Things to think about when you split up.
How To Get Divorced - How it works and what to consider.
Financial Issues - Dividing assets and debts.
Legal Professionals - Working with lawyers, mediators, and financial planners.
Do It Yourself - Information, state laws, and resources to help you out.
Midlife Divorce and Beyond - Articles to help those facing late life divorce.
Military Issues - Considerations and issues in military marriages.
Minor Children - Deciding custody, support, and visitation.
The Legal Process of Splitting Up
Self Help Information
- State Resources for each state including relevant laws, resources, child support guidelines and calculators, domestic violence shelters, and more.
- Downloadable Forms quick and easy access to quality forms, settlement agreements and other related products.
- Do You Need An Attorney - Find out if it's appropriate to do the legal paperwork yourself.
- Do It Yourself - Tips to consider when handling your own paperwork.
- Paperwork and Documents - What documents you'll need to get the process started and what should be addressed in your final agreement.
- Law Resources for Pro Se Litigants - Finding relevant info and legal resources can be frustrating when trying to do your own paperwork and filing it with the court. Learn how to access the forms and tools you need.
- Preparing Yourself to Testify in Court - If you have never testified in court before and don't know what to expect, these practical tips can help you prepare for the process.
- Online Options for couples who can reach a general agreement and want to handle everything personally.
Late Life and Grey Divorce Issues
- Special Issues in Late-Life Divorce – More couples are divorcing after decades of marriage. Find out why it happens and the obstacles to watch out for.
- Social Security and Divorce – Social security benefits are important, especially when approaching a divorce later in life. Find out if you qualify to receive benefits based on your husband’s earnings, how remarriage affects eligibility and more.
- Alimony and Spousal Support – Alimony is a consideration for marriages that have lasted for many years. Learn more about how it is awarded.
- Should You Keep the House? – The marital home is one of the biggest assets many spouses own. Find out the various options for splitting up the house in divorce.
- Handling Financial Issues After Divorce –Financial clean-up tasks to take care of after your divorce is finalized.
- Adult Children After Divorce - It seems like getting divorced after your kids have left home should be easier, but that isn’t always the case.
- Remarriage and Prenuptial Agreements – If you are getting remarried (especially if your first marriage lasted a long time), here’s why you need a prenuptial agreement it to protect your assets.
Military Divorce Issues
» Return to top
Divorce and Separation