Divorce and Separation Information
If you're considering a divorce or separation, or currently going through the process, you need to know what to expect each step of the way. Few of us ever anticipate this stage in our lives, and therefore don't know what options are available to us. Below you will find information about various legal aspects that you may be facing at this point in your life.
Martial Separation - Things to think about when you split up.
How To Get Divorced - How it works and what to consider.
Financial Issues - Dividing assets and debts.
Legal Professionals - Working with lawyers, mediators, and financial planners.
Do It Yourself - Information, state laws, and resources to help you out.
Military Issues - Considerations and issues in military marriages.
Minor Children - Deciding custody, support, and visitation.
The Legal Process of Splitting Up
Self Help Information
- State Resources for each state including relevant laws, resources, child support guidelines and calculators, domestic violence shelters, and more.
- Downloadable Forms quick and easy access to quality forms, settlement agreements and other related products.
- Do You Need An Attorney - Find out if it's appropriate to do the legal paperwork yourself.
- Do It Yourself - Tips to consider when handling your own paperwork.
- Paperwork and Documents - What documents you'll need to get the process started and what should be addressed in your final agreement.
- Law Resources for Pro Se Litigants - Finding relevant info and legal resources can be frustrating when trying to do your own paperwork and filing it with the court. Learn how to access the forms and tools you need.
- Preparing Yourself to Testify in Court - If you have never testified in court before and don't know what to expect, these practical tips can help you prepare for the process.
- Books about specific topics - including guides to help you understand the legal process, win custody, determine child support, alimony, getting a separation and considerations in property division.
- Online Options for couples who can reach a general agreement and want to handle everything personally.
Military Divorce Issues
» Return to top
Divorce and Separation